Law Maven
Law Maven, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer & Instructor at Algonquin Careers Academy
83024252

Do you provide free advice or is there a charge?

Customer Question

Hello, do you provide free advice or is there a charge?
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I was fined a few days ago for speeding (in Ontario, county of Lennox-Addington). I tried to pay the fine today via paytickets.ca and I got an error saying that the fine was still unregistered. Is there a maximum number of days by which an officer must officially register the fine before it becomes null and void?Thanks!
Justin
Expert:  Law Maven replied 1 year ago.
Hello – my name is***** am a lawyer in Ontario, and I’ll be happy to help with your question today. If you received an offense notice, then, under the Provincial Offences Act: Filing of certificate of offence4. A certificate of offence shall be filed in the office of the court as soon as is practicable, but no later than seven days after service of the offence notice or summons. 2009, c. 33, Sched. 4, s. 1 (4).
Expert:  Law Maven replied 1 year ago.
Typically a speeding ticket is an offense notice, and will say that somewhere on the ticket. So if that's the kind of ticket you got, the officer has seven days, not counting the day the ticket was given to you. Note: There may be other delays in the system in terms of ensuring that the registration with the Provincial Court shows up on the paytickets.ca website... I can't find a specific timeline mentioned on their site, but they do say that after paying a ticket: "It takes approximately 72 hours for the information to be updated in the municipality/court jurisdiction database." I'd guess that means that if you want to know whether the officer registered the ticket on time you would need either to go to the Court itself and ask, or to wait seven days ... plus up to 72 hours to see if paytickets.ca has updated their database. I hope I have fully answered your question, but please do not hesitate to ask for more information if needed. When you are satisfied with the answer, kindly provide me a positive rating so I can receive credit for my answer. My answer here contains only general legal information and not legal advice. No solicitor/client relationship has been created by this communication.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot for the info!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, stupid question: I'm trying to rate your response but for some reason, the rating section of the page is grayed-out. Any idea how to rate an answer on the site?Thanks again Anne.
Expert:  Law Maven replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** for the hassle. It should work better now!