Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

How do I find out if I have inheritance in Canada?

Customer Question

Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying there was a Will but you don't know if you inherited?If so then what province is this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told there was and I definitely didn't receive it. I have no idea where in Canada there is a gun collection at a museum also. My great gram pas name was Alan Stephens I don't know where to begin who to contac
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Where did he live before he died?When did he die?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ontairo and 1995 I think sorry I don't have much info
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Do you know the city?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a ranch real close to the lake and some mines also. I wish I had more for you to work with and it might be left to Jesse Stephens I changed my last name later hope that helps
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't help. You cannot find a Will with your name as a beneficiary. You have to find out what city your grandfather was living in at the time of his death. Once you find that information then you will be able to find his will. The way you find his will is by contacting the court house in the jurisdiction where your grandfather lived. There will be a court file in your grandfather's name and you will be able to get a copy of the will and of all other documents in that file because the entire court file including the will is a matter of public record. Then, you will be able to find out for certain whether you were named as a beneficiary in your grandfather's will. If you were and you did not receive your inheritance you can then pursue this by retaining your own lawyer.