How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 97387
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Q:Misplaced the original PoA document. We have only a copy

Customer Question

Q:Misplaced the original PoA document. We have only a copy left. What can we do my mothers dementia is progressing rapidly?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Did a lawyer do the document?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a notary I believe. We have contacted her and were told that they would have given the original document to the last person who signed it. That would have been me I expect but I would have returned it to my mother. We have been through her documents and are not able to locate it anywhere in my house or hers.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Who is asking for the original?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mothers bank and financial planner.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
You can tell them the original cannot be located.If they won't accept the copy then the notary can notarize a copy which would then have the same force and effect as if it was the original. The notary can do this as the notary prepared the original.If that doesn't work you will need to seek a court order unfortunately.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would a section 7 representative agreement take the place of the financial support?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
It could but it has to have been signed already if your mother is no longer competent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are two types of rep agreements. Section seven is for people with special needs or dementia and covers simple financial matters, and section nine does not cover everyday financial matters but is designed for individuals who are of sound mind. As a special educator I have helped parents draw up the former but never the latter. Can you confirm that and get back to me? I have been looking at the nidus webpage.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
If this is BC the form has to be signed when the person is still competent.

Related Canada Law Questions