Copperlaw
Copperlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and Retired cop. Drug expert, breath tech, negotiator, traffic specialist. Criminal, Family, Civil and others.
38596469

I have been married to my husband years, and we are joint owners of our house. It i

Customer Question

I have been married to my husband for 25 years, and we are joint owners of our house. It is getting almost impossible for us to continue in our marriage any longer, if I leave what are my legal rights concerning the house?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.
Good evening, I would be happy to assist you.
I am sorry that you find yourself at this point after 25 years.
I can advise you that you have just as much right in the home as your husband, both from an occupancy standpoint as well as from a financial standpoint, regardless of who worked, who made more, etc. In a marriage, the matrimonial home belongs to both spouses, equally.
If you wish to remain in the home upon separation, you are entitled to. If however, you choose to leave the home, you are not giving up any interest in the home or its contents. It is understandable that upon separation, parties will cease living together and one party will leave. This again however does not affect their interest in the home and it would remain half yours.
I look forward to hearing back from you so that I may ensure that you get all of the information you require.
Also, it is appreciated if you would take a moment to leave me a positive rating if you felt it appropriate.
Warm Regards
Jim