Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am a contractor. I was hired to put stainless steel railings

Customer Question

Hi, i am a contractor. I was hired to put stainless steel railings and glass on a 15 units. At first I was hired as a subcontractor. But after a month the company who hired me was fired and the owner dealt with me. I told them we need to put an half inch glass and its going to be very expensive. They didnt want to do it. They want 10mm to save on materials. There was no contract on this deal. I was given a cheque for materials on the four units. I installed the railings. Then they have me another cheque to install on another four units but they also wants me to put glass on the previous 4 units without giving me the money. So I used the materials money in order to provide what they need as I am trying to help them as well. I finished two units. What I dont like is as I am woking on another unit because the said this has a deadline in 2 days, the day after, they will tell me "oh, you have to finish the other unit and stop what you are woking on right now". This is what they always do. Tampered glass takes about 2-3 weeks to arrive. During the longweekend (Saturday), he wants me to finish a unit. But i havent ordered a glass as I am waiting on their floor guy to finish as I do not know how think the floorings would be. The flooking guy finished Monday at 11pm. They want the unit ready at 9 am the following day for inspection. I worked 30 hours to give them what they want. I tried putting a different glass to different Unit but still didnt meet the deadline. I dont manufacture glass. I was supposed to be given a cheque same week on a friday but the day after they told me that im fired and they are hiring someone else. They said technically I finished worth 12k and looking for the 20k remaining. I told them whatever installed and on all of the units thats their money. I even installed on a different unit without giving a quotation. I did 4 of fourth floor without quotation. I also did welding for them which is not part of my job just to help them out which I spend 30 hours. I also told them that I still owe money to the glass company, i havent paid my self and my crew. They said to finjah the 2 units but would not give me money anymore. How can I comtinue with no money. Plus he kept pushing me to finish a unit by Monday which I havent ordered a glass because I'm working on the other unit. He said that if I dont finish it, he will seek legal advise and will sue our company for 100k. What are my rights? There was no contract or written deadline that a sign to.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
How much do they owe you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The invoice we issued are not paid. Because I got dored in the middle.of the job. They hired someone else because they were saying he can do the job a lot faster. Well because that person has a glass company.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
I understand but how much do they owe you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
10-15k. But mu question is they are the ones whos planning to sue us because they want the unit done by tomorrow. Which ia totally impossible as its weekend and glass manufacturers are close. Plus they said if i finiah the 2 remaining unit they will not pay me. So why would i do a job and not get paid? I havent paid my guys because im waiting on the labor money from them.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
They are being ridiculous and have no reason to sue you. You are entitled to be paid for all work that you do and should not work if they are saying they won't pay you. You've done all you can do and they are unreasonable. If they won't pay you what you are owed then you should file a builder's lien on title within 45 days of walking off the job. Then within another 45 days you have to start a lawsuit to perfect the lien.I suggest that you tell them you don't work for free and that you will register a lien on title at once if they don't pay you.