Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am from Saskatchewan. Canadian Tire has sent me to a collection

Customer Question

I am from Saskatchewan. Canadian Tire has sent me to a collection agency for vehicle repair invoices that were not authorized. I informed them months ago that I didnt mind paying for what I authorized, but I wanted the signed authorization on the repairs because the guy who I dealt with there had been fired and I did not authorize all the repair bills. The legal department at the collection agency has informed me I have until May 25 to pay these bills. What can I do?
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The man at General Credit informed me on Tuesday that there had been a payment of 1300.00 applied to the account in April of this year. I said I did not make a payment. He said he did not know where it came from but if I paid the balance right away he could close it out with the credit applied because if it was a posting error, he could still close out the account. I asked him to send me a copy of this "statement" and he said he would. Today he phoned me and said the credit had been reversed and the balance was back to 4,000.00+, and I had until May 25 to pay it.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
When was the work done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The invoices were dated early 2014 and late 2013 I believe.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping it was too late to sue you but it is not. You can tell them you are not paying as they did work that was unauthorized so you are inviting them to sue you so that a court will decide. The court will not require you to pay for unauthorized work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now can they sieze the vehicles which were included when I sold the cab company which now belong to the new owners? I was told that a verbal authorization was legally binding Saskatchewan, but I never would verbally agree to most of the work that they said was done. The man I usually dealt with back then has since been fired fron Canadian Tire
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
They cannot seize the vehicles without a judgment. Verbal agreements are binding but there was not such an agreement so they cannot prove there was.