Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I had to leave my husband because of mostly emotional abuse.

Customer Question

I had to leave my husband because of mostly emotional abuse. A separation is imminent. I have a mediator working on the separation. It is slow going. My husband just says" You started this. You finish it."
I left I in Sept. Of 2014.
My daughter has a concern that since the separation is taking this long, that I may be charged with desertion.
After 49 years of marriage this is really difficult. The abuse has been ongoing since shortly after our marriage.
Do I have a concern?
Thank you very much,
Dianna
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Your daughter need not worry.There is actually no such thing as being charged with desertion.You do not have to remain living with anyone you don't want to live with. And if this cannot be mediated you can always resort to the courts.