Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Good morning... I am a single parent of two teenagers &

Customer Question

good morning...
I am a single parent of two teenagers & sole guardian; their father passed away in March 2007. My son aged 17 DOB Jan.15/98 was charged with theft under $5000 by the Hudson Bay Company (total items stolen was $68) & is due to appear before the judge Jun.15, 2015. He has since be put on probation with monthly visits to his probation officer, 40 hours community service & mandatory drug & alcohol counselling. This is his first offence.
I have received a letter from legal counsel representing the company he stole from. They are suing me for damages "for failing to provide reasonable supervision of the young person". They are claiming they'll settle for damages in return for a payment of $595; if this payment is not made they will proceed before a civil court for all damages plus interest, legal expenses & other administrative costs incurred
Do I have to pay this???
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
When you say they are suing you, you didn't actually get served with a claim did you?This is just a letter, right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct I have till the end of today to reply to them "Patrick K. Martin, B.A., LL.B., B.C.L, Barrister & Solicitor" out of Toronto Ontario
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SOOOO?????
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
You don't have to reply to them and most would not. First, this is just a threat. Second, these companies threaten to sue but never do. Finally, they cannot sue you successfully unless they prove you put him up to this or were with him and ignored him constantly and were with him at the time.