Copperlaw
Copperlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and Retired cop. Drug expert, breath tech, negotiator, traffic specialist. Criminal, Family, Civil and others.
38596469

I was in a car accident on may 14, 2015. I was going straight

Customer Question

Hi, I was in a car accident on may 14, 2015. I was going straight through a green light(maybe a yellow when passing) a young lady hit me turning left. I believe it to be her fault. We have the same insurance companies. I have collosion on mine. Here is the problem my car has a reject sticker on it. It that going to hurt my chances of getting any compensation for my car. There was damage.
thanks lisa
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lisa
Whenever a collision occurs in which a turning vehicle strikes a vehicle traveling straight through with the right of way, the turning vehicle is at fault. Provincial traffic legislation requires that any vehicle turning across lanes of traffic shall not proceed until it is safe to do so. Your belief in her being at fault would therefore be correct.
Ultimately, the insurance company will have to conduct their investigations and review the collision report, however insurers always look at the turning vehicle as being at fault, except in extraordinary circumstances, such as a vehicle proceeding on an advanced green and the other car running a red.
The sticker status of your vehicle should not matter as your insurer has insured the vehicle for replacement value. The diminished status may affect the compensation slightly as opposed to a non-branded vehicle, however you should still receive appropriate compensation.
I look forward to hearing back from you so that I may ensure that you get all of the information you require.
Also, it is greatly appreciated if you would take a moment to leave me a positive rating.
Jim