Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I have taken an iphone pic of a female coworkers legs while

Customer Question

I have taken an iphone pic of a female coworkers legs while she was ringing up the bill for a client at her cash register, I did not ask for her permission, someone saw me and complained to management, as a result her boyfriend who also works there took my iPhone off of my hands and proceeded to delete her photo and other personal pics of mine and next day I was told I was fired, and they told me I was lucky that they did not call the authorities. I am confused as to Quebec laws on taking pictures, but did I commit a crime.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
You may not have committed a crime but this was grounds for dismissing you. Whether this was a crime or not really depends on the situation and whether this co-worker had a reasonable expectation of privacy. As well, if this was just her legs and this was out in a public space it would not likely be considered a crime.I am sorry this happened to you as I know you didn't mean to do anything that would cause you to lose your job.