Copperlaw
Copperlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and Retired cop. Drug expert, breath tech, negotiator, traffic specialist. Criminal, Family, Civil and others.
38596469

My employer wants to install camera in the workplace of a group

Customer Question

my employer wants to install camera in the workplace of a group home what are my fights?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.
Good evening, I would be happy to assist you with this question.
Employers are lawfully entitled to install cameras and surveillance equipment in a place of employment. They will typically do so under the guise of safety and security.
As long as they are not installed in locations where an individual would have an expectation of privacy, such as a bathroom, change room or private bedroom, then this is perfectly lawful. If however they are installing them in areas where there is an expectation of privacy, this can certainly be challenged.
I look forward to hearing back from you so that I may ensure that you get all of the information you require.
Please take a moment to leave me a positive rating.
Jim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have read about privacy rights that I have as an employee. this being a group home and how the employer is I do not feel comfortable with it. They make up rules and lies.
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.
I understand, however privacy legislation has its limitations and if the employer does so under the guise of a bona fide occupational requirement, such as the safety of the staff and residents, then as long as they are not placing them in private locations, they are allowed to do so under the legislation.
Can you let me know where in the group home they are going to place them? Further, what exactly would be your privacy concerns with the installation of security cameras?
Jim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would not want them using my image in anyway. To promote anything. They said it's for safety but feel as if they are simply snopping
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.
Privacy law prohibits them from using it in the manner you suggest. It could only be used for safety and security purposes. They could not post the video anywhere or make it available to anyone else, other than with authorities in the case of an investigation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can they spy on me
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.
They are not actually "spying" on you when they are putting cameras in with your knowledge and making you aware of it.
Spying would be the installation of surreptitious recording equipment, where you have no idea. Employers can and have done this in cases where they suspect employee theft and install cameras over cash registers. So that type of "spying" would be lawful as it is for a lawful purpose, on the employer's premises and not in a location where you would have a reasonable expectation of privacy.
They could not however install cameras in the bathroom for instance. This type of spying would be illegal as you have an expectation of privacy.
Ultimately, the employer can install cameras on their own premises as they own the property and where it is for the protection of their business, property, staff or clients, it is justified.
Please take a moment to leave me a positive rating as this assists me with my reputation on this site and also credits me for the time I spend with you.
Jim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are live streaming so are able to watch it at any time.
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.
Whether it is live and monitored or recorded and stored makes no difference. Again, it is their property and if done for a lawful purpose, it is permitted, subject to the reasonable expectation of privacy limitations I have described.
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you are satisfied with the information I have provided or if you require anything further.
And please remember to provide me with a positive rating so that I may be credited for the time I have spent chatting with you for the last several days.
Jim
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.
Do you need anything further or can we close this question.
Jim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
being that I have a union can the union do anything?
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.
I would be happy to discuss this with you further, however I have spent the last two weeks chatting with you and answering your question and numerous follow up questions. I would appreciate it if you would leave me a positive rating as this assists me on this site and also credits me for the time I have spent with you over the last couple of weeks.
Jim