Jeremie John Martin, Lawyer
Experience:  I'm a bilingual attorney for the province of Quebec who goes to Court often for many clients.
24752679

We are trying to rent an apartment and the tenant has told

Customer Question

We are trying to rent an apartment and the tenant has told us that they want to be there when we bring people by to view it.That's fine with us.  While they were away, we had a few people who wanted to view the apartment but weren't willing to wait for the tenants to come back and so we never heard from them again.  This particular weekend, the tenants have done off again (we didn't know) to Ottawa for the long weekend and will return tomorrow.  In the meantime, more people have called to view the place. I advised them that we can start to show the apartment on Monday as the tenants are away.  My question to you is, can tenants leave whenever they want without notifying us when we are in the process of renting it out? They insist on being at the apartment when others view it, they won't leave their keys.  We live in Laval so I am not sure if the rental laws are different here than in other provinces.  Thanks

Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Is the apartment in Ontario or Quebec?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The apartment is in Quebec (Laval des Rapides actually). I had to go out therefore my apologies for keeping you waiting.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
I will opt out and ask our Quebec expert to answer.
Expert:  Jeremie John Martin replied 1 year ago.
I'm a Quebec lawyer .
Unfortunately if there is no emergency the consent of the tenant is required to access the unit for the purpose of making visits for future tenants .
If the tenants are often away you should send them a formal notice mentioning visits will occur after all 24 hour written notices so they have the choice of being present .
If they oppose this you could consider getting a permanent access order from the Regie du logement.
I hope my answer sends you In the right direction .
Best regards ,
Jeremie ***** *****