Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I have a competing company in our health care educational industry

Customer Question

I have a competing company in our health care educational industry that is publicly trashing and denouncing an employee at our company during public educational seminars. Our employee has a criminal background which is being exploited for sales and market share. However, the information we hear being reported is exaggerated and very defamatory. Can they be sued? Is a cease & desist letter enough?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Yes they can be sued. This is a clear case of defamation and it is hurting your employee's reputation and your own. A cease and desist letter would not be enough. I suggest that you have a lawyer send that letter but also demand a retraction and apology and threaten a lawsuit.It is very expensive to sue but that letter will be well worth the cost of a lawyer just for that letter.