Copperlaw
Copperlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and Retired cop. Drug expert, breath tech, negotiator, traffic specialist. Criminal, Family, Civil and others.
38596469

I have a question in relation to a possibility of being charged

Customer Question

I have a question in relation to a possibility of being charged with a hit & run
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.
Good evening, I would be happy to assist you with this question.
If you hit an unattended vehicle, you have an obligation to see stop and see if there is any damage and if so, to make efforts to notify the owner. Given that this was on a private lot and not on the road, only the criminal code charge of failing to remain would apply if anything and this would only be for failing to provide your information, in an attempt to avoid civil or criminal liability.
In this case, you did get out and looked at the vehicles and saw no damage. Since you took these steps, you've exercised your due diligence in satisfying any civilly or criminally imposed duties.
Given that the police are merely asking you to come in and not actually coming to you, looking for you, I expect that they simply want to finalize the report and get your information for it. There's really no avoiding it, so the best thing is to deal with it head on and ensure that it is known that you did your due diligence by checking for damage and finding none.
I look forward to hearing back from you so that I may ensure that you get all of the information you require.
Also, it is greatly appreciated if you would take a moment to provide me with a positive rating.
Jim
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I see that you were back in and viewed my response however I do not see a reply from you. Please let me know if you are satisfied with the information that I have provided or if you need anything further, I am happy to continue this discussion.
Please remember to leave me a positive rating as this assists in building my reputation here on this site.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Regards
Jim
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.
Please just let me know if you are satisfied with the information you have received.
Thank you
Jim