Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I decided to help a friend who was in need of some money inEurope.

Customer Question

I decided to help a friend who was in need of some money inEurope. He said this lady wasn't able to get the money across through WesternUnion, so he arranged for the lady to do a TD to TD transfer to my account  and then I proceeded to withdraw the fundsand send to him.I get a call from the bank saying they accidently depositedfunds into that ladies account and were going to withdraw MY own personal moneyto pay the bank back. Obviously I am outraged because the money they took outwas my own personal money and now I am missing a big stack of money from myaccount. What do I do?? Can anything be done?? It's my understanding that the bank should make arrangements with thelady, and not come to me because i had nothing to do with that. I was just arecipient from her.
Submitted: 1 year ago via LawDepot.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
How much money are you out?
When you received the phone call from the bank did the call display indicate that you were being called by TD Canada Trust?
Did you meet your 'friend' over the internet? If so, have you ever met your friend in person?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
7k And yes the bank said THEY made a mistake when they deposited into the ladies account. Then she transferred 7k to me and I sent it overseas to this friend I met. I have met him in person during his stay in my city. Currently he now resides overseas
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
I am having trouble figuring out what happened with the bank.
Are you saying that the bank admitted to making an error?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes ! They made an error. Deposited money into ladies account. Then she was thought it was money she was expecting (from something else) and forwarded to me. Now the bank traced 7k to my account and took it from my account. Even though that money is long gone (sent overseas)
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Have you spoken to the bank manager yourself, personally?What exactly is the bank's phone number?I am still not clear of how this happened.I am not calling the bank of course but just want to figure out if this is legitimate.