Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

Need info about a civil suit in Nova Scotia /defama

Customer Question

I have a pending inquiry with a human rights tribunal in Nova Scotia for Discrimination. In addition, my former employer submitted a letter it claims was on my work file, to support my firing, which was untrue. The letter stated that a coworker had made a complaint about comments of a sexual nature made by me, among other claims which were graphically described. The letter is a complete fabrication. The coworker denies ever having made a complaint and states that the whole letter is a lie, and that he would be willing to say so in court.  There is also other evidence which was submitted to the Human Rights Tribunal which contradicts the claims made in the letter of complaint about me, to support my allegation that it is a lie.

How do I represent myself to sue the supervisor who maliciously wrote this letter, or the company for submitting it to the Human Rights Tribunal to justify my firing? What is the procedure for a civil case like this, and what case law, statutes and precedents can I refer to?

Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
I can provide you with general legal information.So I can explain the law of defamation to you. But I am not your lawyer and cannot provide advice. Nor can explain how to self-represent or provide you with case law, statutes or precedents. I can tell you how to do research on your own if that will help.Knowing all of this please let me know if you wish to proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No thanks, ***** ***** google the explanation of the law of defamation myself, and already know what it means. If you can't give me any of the legal advice I am looking for I don't want to pay to find out what defamation is. And I want my $62 deposit back, as the answer is wholly unsatisfactory.