Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

At breakfast in a hotel in Edmonton I collapsed and had what

Customer Question

At breakfast in a hotel in Edmonton I collapsed and had what is being called a seizure! The following week my BC doctor referred me to a neurologist. He said, based on my description of the events that 'I had an epileptic seizer. I asked how he knew that and he said it was based on my story.
The doctor said that 'I cannot drive and I ought to take anti-seizer medication. He has booked me in for a brain wave scan in 4 weeks.
The issue of 'no driving' was not mentioned by the hospital doctor in Edmonton. The neurologist's conclusion/diagnosis was based on my recollection of me passing out at the hotel breakfast table.
Who notifies me officially of my driving suspension and when is it effective from and how will I know when it is OK again to drive?
Thanks
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
If your licence is suspended then you will get a notice in the mail.If you don't have another seizure for a while or if there is a medical opinion that this was not a seizure then the doctor can send in this report and your licence will be reinstated.Once a doctor is confident there will not be any more seizures (or that this was not a seizure) and sends in the report then you will get your licence back so be sure to keep in touch with some doctor who can send in the report at the appropriate time.