Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My husband has a felony and a few misdemeanors on his

Customer Question

My husband has a felony and a few misdemeanors on his record from three different states. Battery, Larceny, and I believe a public intoxication... all of which are from over 10 years ago.
He has to get permission to enter Canada, and we are planning on a visit. I have tried doing the paper work myself but there is a lot of things I am not sure about. I am looking to find out how much it would cost us to hire a lawyer to help us address this situation.
Thanks,
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking about applying for rehabilitation or for a Temporary Resident Permit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rehabilitation. We have no interest in living there
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
The Temporary Resident Permit is not for living in Canada. It is for getting special permission to enter when the person is otherwise not able to enter. It is obtained for extraordinary reasons as it is temporary and can be obtained quickly.Rehabilitate would make it easy to visit at any time so it is the long term goal.A lawyer would likely charge about $2500 for this application. It is quite complex and hard to get right on your own
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how long would the rehabilitation take? And would the $2500 be a one time fee? Or paid through out the case.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And do you have any recommendation in the Wheaton/Naperville IL area?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
It can take well over a year. The $2500 would be a set flat fee but it is only my approximation. You need a lawyer in Canada to do this, not in the US.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh boy.. So even though we reside in the states and are US citizens we have to go through a Canadian lawyer? Is there anything that you know of that can speed up the process?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
It is not about where you live, it is about what lawyer knows the law, and this is about the law in Canada.
The fastest way to go is through a lawyer. There is no other way to speed up rehabilitation.