Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I work in AB at a hospital as an RN. I went to my manager

Customer Question

I work in AB at a hospital as an RN.
I went to my manager on Friday and told her of staff abuse by a co-worker/friend over a dispute. She convinced me that it was bullying and if I wasn't going to be safe at work, then I needed to file a staff abuse report with workplace health and safety. I did but I left it very vague in the interpretation.
After reporting, I felt comfortable enough to give the name of the person to my manager and more of the details of why she was so angry. In Oct. of last year, another nurse facebooked me and asked me how long that I was sleeping with a certain doctor. She told me of the rumour going around saying that he was sleeping with two nurses in the same department. I figured out who the 3rd nurse was and sent her a message. Over the last 3 months, all three of us would text and last week, I mentioned something I should not have and she felt betrayed.
My manager said she'd waist for the report I filed and take it from there.
Friday afternoon, my manager called me back and said that I was going to meet with the head of HR and our union representative to go over this. I've since changed my mind and asked for the complaint to be pulled but she says we'll still talk about it on Tuesday.
What I need to know, is can she pursue any information that was given if I've pulled my complaint and will no longer sign my name to something. I'm especially worried about what I said about my friend and if that gets out, then I'll be in big trouble.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear this. If the manager decides discipline is needed then she will have to provide all the details off the complaint including your name as this information is mandatory for there to be a proper disciplinary procedure.The nurse who is facing discipline has the right to know who has complained and all the details so she can defend herself.But you can certainly tell the manager you don't want to go ahead. She should consider your position but doesn't have to agree to stop the investigation if she believes there has been bullying.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can she use the information I told her in confidence?
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
If she agreed to keep it confidential then she should not.But she cannot discipline the nurse and keep it confidential.