How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 97480
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I signed a "Licence to Occupy Agreement" and gave a damage

Customer Question

I signed a "Licence to Occupy Agreement" and gave a damage deposit of 325 dollars in October 2014, when I moved into the townhouse that the landlord lives in, with the understanding that my damage deposit would be returned if there were no damages (it says so in the contract that it will be returned if there were no damages). The contract also says that after I move out and that a cost of 325 (not specified in the contract of how much of the 325 will be used but was told it would be 50 dollars) would be used for carpet cleaning. In the contract it also states that I have a shared responsibility to keep the bathroom and kitchen clean which the owner shared with me. I kept the shared bathroom and kitchen clean and there were never complaints about this in the seven months I was there. And when I moved out I cleaned the room I was occupying. However, when the landlord gave me back the damage deposit, she said she was only returning 100 dollars to me because I did not help not with the recycling and garbage cleaning in the shared bathroom and kitchen. She had never asked me to help or informed me that there was a problem with that and I also understood the owner had a specific way of doing things (she would not let me use my own garbage bags), so I let her do the recycling and garbage drop offs. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
You should tell her that he is keeping the money unlawfully, she has 48 hours to pay you and if she does not you will sue her. She has no right at all to the money and she likely really knows that.