How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 98526
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Mother in Law is in Canada on a Multiple visit Visa. This

Customer Question

My Mother in Law is in Canada on a Multiple visit Visa. This visa is good till 2018. My understanding that she cannot live for more than 6 month per visit. She came in November, so she can now live with us till June. We want her to stay with us for more
than 6 months. My question is should we apply for extension of stay or should we exit and renter Canada?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Where does it say she cannot stay for more than six months?
Is that in any documentation you or she received?
Was her passport stamped with this time limitation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No there is no time stamp but I assume that she can only stay for 6 months as a visitor. So you think she can stay till the validity of her visa?
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Is this a supervisa?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No its not.its a multitple entry visit visa
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
I assumed it was a multiple entry super visa. Sorry about that.
She can apply to extend her stay or she can leave and re-enter. Either is fine.
There is no one better approach than the other in a case like this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So went to border crossings and they rejected the visa and also they cancelled multiple entry visa. She now has to go back right away. Can she stay here if we put an appeal or she has to leave? Please reply urgently
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
She can stay while you appeal if you can do so immediately. You need a lawyer at this point as you are in a more serious situation now.

Related Canada Law Questions