Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

We have a Buddhist Monk coming to offer a workshop in September

We have a Buddhist Monk coming to offer a workshop in September 2014. Is there a way to bring him over here legally as a "consultant" or a "religious delegate" and pay him for his services without having to secure a Work Permit for him. The Work Permit Process seems incredibly long and complicated. We are looking for an easier way. BTW, we are not his employer, but we are the event organizers.

Thanks so much,
Deanne Newkirk
Calgary, AB
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

To me it sounds like this Monk is a member of the clergy class. Those who work as ordained ministers, lay persons or members of a religious order don't need work permits to work in Canada.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Debra,

Thank you. I know I mentioned he is a Buddhist Monk, but in fact he is a higher level than that. More like a Buddhist Priest. Could you please refer me to where I can read this exclusion for Work Permits from Immigration Canada for the Clergy Class. This would be great news. Thank you.

Deanne Newkirk