Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I live in Canada. I started a little website where we sell

I live in Canada. I started a little website where we sell hosting. (It's just a website, not a registered company and we did max 300$ a month). I got affiliated with someone in the United States (which is a big mistake). I then tell the person I can't really work with him because I don't feel confortable around him. He invested around 70$ in the website. When he left, I gave him 400$ for his good services. Now he tells me he will sue me.

Although, the domain name, the account, the bank accounts, the servers are all in my name. Nothing is in his name. Can he still sue me for a valid reason?
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

It's not likely he is going to sue you and for what.

He invested $70 and you gave him back $400. You don't make enough to make it worthwhile to sue and how is he going to do that from the US?

I suggest you cut off all communications with him at once.

If you are sued, and I would be totally shocked, post on this site again and I can assist you further.

He is simply trying to scare you in my view.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We didn't sign one single contract. All our chat are written over Skype. I never said anything to him insulting or anything. Although, we just agreed over Skype we would run this together. Can he use this against me?

Verbal contracts are binding.

But it's very difficult for someone in the US to sue someone in Canada and he would be suing over $150 a month at the most.

And you can certainly close the website and start another and you own all the names etc. unless you had a non-competition agreement which I assume you did not.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So I have the obigation to respect what I told him?

That's not what I am saying.

I am saying that while verbal agreements are binding there doesn't seem much to fight over and I don't see how he can sue you in Canada.

And, given there are no contracts that say you cannot compete you can simply start a new website that does the same thing as you own all the necessary elements.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He said he have alot of money and that he will take every single drop of money from me.

I can vouch he has alot of money. What would we have to do in order to sue me? And how would that go on my end? Would I just receive a letter?

If he has a lot of money he would not care about a site that earns $300 a month.

He is bullying you with his threats.

You would first get a letter in the mail.

Then you would be served with documents. But I just don't see this happening.

A letter from a lawyer will cost more than what your site earns in a month.

Retaining a lawyer to act will cost more than you site earns in a year.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He's the kind of person to spend alot of money just to destroy someone....

But he actually has some chances to win the dispute?

He won't destroy you.

At the most he would be awarded half of what the website is worth. So what is that?

I don't think it's much.

If he sues you can always come to some settlement.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But would I have to spend alot of money over that?

I know you has you scared but your website makes $300. So it's value is negligible in all honesty.

He is just threatening you to scare you.

Don't reply to him at all.

He will get more threatening for a few days and then the threats will get a bit less and then will stop.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I blocked him on Skype. Thanks for all the help. If ever he makes a move, do I need to repay? because 49$ was a big chunk in my budget....

If it's a follow-up question then no you don't.

For now please remember to rate me because even though you paid I don't get paid until you provide me with a positive rating.