How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law.Hut Your Own Question
Law.Hut, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 7846
Experience:  with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Law.Hut is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have received an answer that as a separated spouse I can

This answer was rated:

I have received an answer that as a separated spouse I can apply for CPP after the death of my husband and there was no common-in-law spouse. We are in our 70s.
Even though we signed a separation agreement that we wouldn't apply for each other pensions I have never received a waiver my my husband's private pension. Can I still apply?

Law.Hut : Yes, you can. A waiver that you will not apply for a division of private pension plans does not effect the credit splitting under the CPP. That is allowed by statute and no waiver is effective unless it specifically refers to the CPP.

We never split our CPP and I am receiving my own.


My concern is can I apply to the Private Pension for Litton Systems as my husband's brother has POA and I did sign the separation agreement not to but no one ever gave me a paper to to waive this as my private pension Omers never asked my husband to as well./ Maybe I amm not being clear here. I am referring now to the private pension and not CPP


I haven't received an answer yet.

Law.Hut : I can't answer this with any certainty, as it will depend on the language of the separation agreement and whether you are precluded from the application. But if you have signed an agreement stating that you would not be entitled to a division of his pension, then that can be binding and enforceable even if you have not received conformation of a waiver from the pension plan itself.
Law.Hut and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Canada Law Questions