How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Law.Hut Your Own Question

Law.Hut, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 7846
Experience:  with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Law.Hut is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought a new Nissan Juke 20 days ago. Nissan published Fuel

Resolved Question:

I bought a new Nissan Juke 20 days ago. Nissan published Fuel consumption for Juke as 7 l/100km for combined highway and city. Mine is consuming 11.5 l/100 km.
Dealer says they've checked the car and there is nothing wrong with the car. What are my options? Can I return the car?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Law.Hut replied 1 year ago.

You could sue, or threaten to sue, and seek that the court allow you to cancel the contract, and then return the car for a refund.

To succeed, you would need to prove that you had been mislead by the sellor about some significant or fundamental term of the contract and that you were induced to enter the contract in part as a result of that representation.

A significant difference in gas mileage could be such a fundamental term.

You will also need to establish factually that the mileage is significantly different. The sellor will likely rely on some term of the sales contract that might say mileage may vary, or that the vehicle will need to be driven a certain distance before the optimum mileage is obtained. It will also depend on how you are driving the vehicle. You can testify that you are not speeding, no hard acceleration and braking and so on that might skew the mileage to a worse number.

If the value of the car is under $25000, this is a matter that you could deal with in small claims court. A lawyer is not mandatory for this but an experienced civil litigation lawyer will be very useful. We are not allowed to refer you to specific lawyers here due to site policies. But the Law Society of Upper Canada has a free referral service and they have information on that at their web site.

Here is a web address with much information on the court process should you need to sue:

The options to suing would be trying to negotiate some rebate on the purchase price perhaps. But aside from a court order, you could not force the sellor to accept return of the vehicle.

I hope this is helpful. If you have no further questions, please rate the answer positively, as otherwise the site does not credit me, even if you have paid a deposit. You can still ask follow up questions after rating though, if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My car was $25,650.00 before tax, and $29,000.00 with tax. So, since is not under $25,000.00 and therefore I cannot go to small claims court, how and where can I sue them. And who, dealership or Nissan. Please advise how to go about that?

Expert:  Law.Hut replied 1 year ago.
You would sue in superior court. Here is a web address with some information:

The lawsuit would be against the party that you contracted with, that I expect would be the dealership.
Law.Hut, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 7846
Experience: with over 15 years experience.
Law.Hut and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
  • This has been very helpful. I'm glad to see that lawyers and sites like this exist. Thanks for your help. Mike Halifax, NS
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    23 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Tom B.'s Avatar

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    23 years in practice
  • LawyerProfessor's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced Litigation Lawyer in Ontario since 1999 and NY since 1997
  • B.R. Hart's Avatar

    B.R. Hart


    Satisfied Customers:

    Juris Doctor, Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada
  • Jeremie John Martin's Avatar

    Jeremie John Martin


    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a bilingual attorney for the province of Quebec who goes to Court often for many clients.
  • Sokkalaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer in Ontario, Canada
  • CaptanLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a criminal defence lawyer, who assists individuals charged with crimes.
  • Law Maven's Avatar

    Law Maven


    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer & Instructor at Algonquin Careers Academy