Law.Hut
Law.Hut, Lawyer
Experience:  with over 15 years experience.
64292049

I work at the medical spa, there was broken equipment. Now

Customer Question

I work at the medical spa, there was broken equipment. Now the spa owner blames me and the other worker that we damaged it, though there is no proof and we both deny that.
The owner says that we have to cover the expenses of fixing it and we both have to figure out who is going what amount to cover. There is no any contract or so, which would say that we have to cover it, plus we didn't damage anything. I think it is in general illegal to tell for workers to pay for damaged machines, there supposed to be insurance for that, plus there is no proof who did it. Also now she demands to sign the paper where it says that we have to cover any damage done to the equipments. Thank you.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Law.Hut replied 9 months ago.
Hello:

You are not required to sign any type of paper. It is illegal for the employer to try and deduct costs of broken equipment or so on from your wages. If they think that you are responsible and they want to seek payment from you, they can proceed to take action against you in court and prove that you are responsible. But unless you deliberately damaged equipment, the employer is vicariously liable for damage you might cause in the course of your employment. So the employer is not going to be able to succeed against you in court unless they can prove that you deliberately damaged the equipment or did so when you were not acting in the course of your normal employment. If this was simply damage that occurred in the normal course of your employment not deliberate, then the employer is simply responsible and cannot pass that cost onto an employee.

I hope this is helpful. If you have no further questions, please rate the answer positively, as otherwise the site does not credit me, even if you have paid a deposit. You can still ask follow up questions after rating though, if you wish.
Law.Hut, Lawyer
Experience: with over 15 years experience.
Expert:  Law.Hut replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. The site will email you a survey within several days. I would appreciate your taking time to complete that survey and providing positive feedback. If you have questions in the future on other legal matters, you can refer to my user name of law.hut at the outset of your post. I will do my best to answer as soon as possible.