Law.Hut, Lawyer
Experience:  with over 15 years experience.

Hi, what are the legal procedures of opening a Vape Café for

Hi, what are the legal procedures of opening a Vape Café for marijuana users in Kitchener Waterloo? There are many operating in the city of Toronto. Should I start with speaking with the local authorities/police?

As long as these businesses are not doing anything to facilitate sale of marijuana, the business owner is not violating any law if people bring their own product to the store and use it on the premises. This would have to be done in an area which is entirely outside to avoid violating indoor smoking prohibition laws. But the police otherwise cannot give you any legal advice. These businesses do not have any type of special permission or license to allow consumption of marijuana. The police may not take active steps to try and arrest users on site for possession, but possession of marijuana remains illegal.

If the business owner is involved in anyway in transporting or selling the marijuana, then there's a risk of being charged with trafficking.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the reply!

I just want to get more information.

Is vaporizing marijuana legal indoors then? I know its illegal to light up tobacco indoors.

No, it is in no way legal to consume or possess marijuana anywhere in Canada. This is federal law, pursuant to the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act. The local authorities have no discretion to allow businesses or users to opt out of the legislation. They can turn a blind eye to strict enforcement if they wish. But it remains illegal to smoke marijuana no matter the location or the type of instrument used to smoke it.

Thank you for the positive rating. The site will email you a survey within several days. I would appreciate your taking time to complete that survey and providing positive feedback. If you have questions in the future on other legal matters, you can refer to my user name of law.hut at the outset of your post. I will do my best to answer as soon as possible.