Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I am getting divorced and my spouse had a pension through her

I am getting divorced and my spouse had a pension through her former employer. Costco.
She left there 2 years ago and I was married to her for 3 years while she made contributions. Should that be considered in the division of our assets?
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Yes it should.

A pension is an asset.

You would share in the increase in value of that pension over the course of the marriage just as you would any other asset.

The pension would have to be valuated as of the date of marriage and as of the date of separation.

The Pension Plan Administrator does that.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.