How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 92708
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having major surgery in 2 weeks and marriage on the out,

Resolved Question:

I am having major surgery in 2 weeks and marriage on the out, want to do a new will leaving my half of the home and half the life insurance and all my rsps to my sons from my first marriage this case I know I need to change my will but do I have to serve husband with divorce papers as well in case I die . If a separation or divorce in process will this be able to be done to protect my kids
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

You don't have to serve your husband with divorce papers.

If you did the divorce process ends.

Whether you marriage ends in divorce or death, the law will treat the assets the same. And it doesn't matter if you were separated or not.

Unless there is a marriage contract, if you die your husband can elect to take under the Will or under the Family Law Act.

And do this means that at the end of the day, when all your assets are considered, your husband has to walk away with one half the value of the assets (asides from gifts and inheritances) that were brought into the marriage, less one half their debts and included as well is the increase in value of any assets brought into the marriage over the course of the marriage. The value of the current matrimonial home is shared no matter what.

The life insurance can be left to designated beneficiaries and should not form part of the estate.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 92708
Experience: Lawyer
Legal Ease and 3 other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This means I cannot will my half of the house which we equally paid for. (No mortgage ) the life insurance we also equally pay for. I have more re
Rsp and a pension at work which he does not have. If I write a news will will my kids get what I worked for ie. house pension rsp. Or changing the will will still give him the whole house,life insurance ECt

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
If you are on title as joint tenants, the house will not form part of the estate but will pass to him if you die first, and vice versa.

You can leave you half to your sons if you are tenants-in-common. A lawyer can assist you in severing the joint tenant if you want to do so.

And you can write your Will as you see fit.

But as I've said if at the end of the day he will be left with less than he would get if you divorce essentially he can choose to get what he would get on a divorce.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

stop emailing me and sending this info again an again it is a shared computer!!! I am done with you Thankyou

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
  • This has been very helpful. I'm glad to see that lawyers and sites like this exist. Thanks for your help. Mike Halifax, NS
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Tom B.

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    23 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Tom B.'s Avatar

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    23 years in practice
  • LawyerProfessor's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced Litigation Lawyer in Ontario since 1999 and NY since 1997
  • B.R. Hart's Avatar

    B.R. Hart


    Satisfied Customers:

    Juris Doctor, Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada
  • Jeremie John Martin's Avatar

    Jeremie John Martin


    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a bilingual attorney for the province of Quebec who goes to Court often for many clients.
  • Sokkalaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer in Ontario, Canada
  • CaptanLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a criminal defence lawyer, who assists individuals charged with crimes.
  • Law Maven's Avatar

    Law Maven


    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer & Instructor at Algonquin Careers Academy