Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Dear , Recently I received my landing Visa for me and my

Dear ,

Recently I received my landing Visa for me and my child and we are planning to move to Canada during this year and get our PR.

My child ( 3 years old) was recently diagnosed with mild delay development/autism and need specially education/therapy for the near future.

He passed the medical last year and we didn’t hide anything related to him but he was younger and it was more difficult to identify any delay.

My question , will this new fact about my child affect his or our future citizenship in the future assuming that we will satisfy all other citizenship requirements ?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.

Debra :

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Debra :

Generally, the goal of immigration Canada is to protect the public health so someone with a communicable disease would not be admitted to Canada until it was proven that they were not a danger to Canadians. This would extend to both a concern about contagion and also about unpredictable or unusual behaviour that may create a danger to public safety

As well they may deny an application where the condition raises a concern that the person might cause excessive demand on existing social or health services provided by the government.

Debra :

This should not be the case for a child diagnosed with mild autism or developmental delay.

Customer:

thank you for your response.

Debra :

You are very welcome.

Customer:

even if he require certain public funding for the early intervention programme in his school in Canada ?

Debra :

He would have public funding for attending school anyway.

There is no reason to think that it will necessarily cost more if he is in a special needs classroom setting. Most schools have such programs.

And if he is to get this when he is younger than school age it would be private.

As well, most adults with mild autism are fully functioning members of society who are productive.

So I would be surprised if this diagnosis would make a difference.

But as well if you've already been approved then this new diagnosis won't be considered for PR status.

And this is never, ever considered for citizenship.

Customer:

Great , yes we passed the medical and we will be PR holders soon. it is mild case and this is why no body noticed that in the medical test .

my inquiry was related to citizenship . therefore mild autism or delay development will not be part of any decision related to citizenship?

Debra :

Not in the least bit.

The medical issues are done.

The only test for citizenship is meeting the residency requirements.

Customer:

ok that is great , many thanks for your answer

Debra :

You are very welcome.

And welcome to Canada!

Customer:

Thanks :)

Debra :

Take good care.

Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer