How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 92737
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello. I am the owner of a condo unit in Toronto and I wish

Resolved Question:

Hello. I am the owner of a condo unit in Toronto and I wish to have a roommate removed from my unit. My roommate and I live in the same unit and share bathroom and kitchen. I've given her a verbal notice of when she has to move out but things between us has gotten so hostile that I want her out as soon as possible so I can get a new tenant in. I'm going to Europe next month on a year long vacation and I want this issue resolved as soon as possible. I understand that under the RTA she is not by law covered and protected, which means legally as the owner I can have her locked out or evicted without notice if she does not pay rent.

I'm even considering locking her out with her stuff locked in until she pays me an acceptable amount. I want her out asap and she needs to be taught a lesson on paying what she owes.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

She is not covered by the Residential Tenancies Act but just any tenancy agreement you have with her.

If she owes you rent you can have her leave at once.

If you change the locks you are not acting unlawfully though sometimes the police seem to be confused on that issue.

She is no longer welcome in your home so she is trespassing.

You don't have the legal right to keep her belongings.

You have the right to sue her for what she owes you and then once you get a Judgment you can seek to enforce it by garnishing her wages, have her assets seized and sold etc. but cannot do that without a judgment.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 92737
Experience: Lawyer
Legal Ease and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Debra, my main issue is with keeping her stuff when I lock her out.


When I lock her out, how many days does she have to retrieve her belongings before I can throw away/sell/keep it.


I think the RTA says 72 hours but because the RTA is exempt in this situation, I don't know if this situation still applies.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
It doesn't not apply.

You can give her a notice and give her a reasonable deadline for removing the items.

Given you are going away for a year it's clear she needs to get the stuff out soon so the notice does not have to be that long.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
  • This has been very helpful. I'm glad to see that lawyers and sites like this exist. Thanks for your help. Mike Halifax, NS
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Tom B.

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    23 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Tom B.'s Avatar

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    23 years in practice
  • LawyerProfessor's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced Litigation Lawyer in Ontario since 1999 and NY since 1997
  • B.R. Hart's Avatar

    B.R. Hart


    Satisfied Customers:

    Juris Doctor, Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada
  • Jeremie John Martin's Avatar

    Jeremie John Martin


    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a bilingual attorney for the province of Quebec who goes to Court often for many clients.
  • Sokkalaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer in Ontario, Canada
  • CaptanLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a criminal defence lawyer, who assists individuals charged with crimes.
  • Law Maven's Avatar

    Law Maven


    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer & Instructor at Algonquin Careers Academy