Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Hi, I am scheduled to go to a DRO (mediation) meeting tomorrow

Customer Question

Hi, I am scheduled to go to a DRO (mediation) meeting tomorrow and I have not received my ex's corporate t2 return.... I received the schedules pertaining to it and I've received provincial tax forms as well. We've been to court three time relating to the notice to disclose.... I also know that the DRO officer is accounted with my ex's former attorney and his attorney has stated to him not to make a deal until he seeks legal advice. Is this a conflict of interest? All I am requesting is federal guidelines for child support and spousal support.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Debra :

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Debra :

Are you asking about the DRO speaking to your former spouse's former lawyer?

Debra :

How do you know this happened?

Debra :

Did the DRO officer speak to you as well?

Customer: I intercepted a voice mail from my ex's former lawyer speaking about the dro and them being acquainted and advising him not to make a deal. I forwarded this message to my phone and have it saved
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry but I was having trouble accessing the chat.

Are you saying the DRO revealed confidential information to the former lawyer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He might have revealed some info but I am not sure! My ex's former lawyer was very unprofessional at a meeting with me and my former lawyer.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Your ex's former lawyer may not be professional but he was correct in telling your former spouse not to settle without legal advice.

Neither of you should and, in fact, if you sign a separation agreement and your former spouse did not get independent legal advice that could hurt you because the agreement may not stand up in Court.

If you feel the DRO officer is biased or has revealed confidential information you can file a complaint or ask for another officer. But these are serious allegations and you have to be able to prove them.

As the officer simply tries to get you to settle it's not really clear how being biased would make much of a difference anyway.

But you can say you know he/she has spoken to the former lawyer and feel that you are not going to be treated fairly and want a new officer and see what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have a deprecation agreement and the child support portion expired and that is why we are back at it again and there was also conflict with the dates so MEP needs a current order and for the recalculation program they need an order using the anniversary date to recalculate child support.... My ex was determined to make me a deal for less than federal guidelines.... I just want federal guidelines so I don't have to go back to court! And how do I get his income info? I will listen to the DRO and if I feel he's bias I will try to ask for another or make no deal. Thanks
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
You don't have to accept less than the guidelines and he has to provide the past three years and the court will order that.

So just persist and you cannot possible settle without that information of course.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your advice Debra, I went to the meeting and it turns out he claimed expenses on his corporate taxes that were used for personal use for example telephone and truck & fuel, he calls the kids every day from his work number and picks up the kids and travels for hockey with his truck... Also he is claiming rent and living in an rv when he is living with his girlfriend... Can living him with his girlfriend help me out? She is partially responsible for their living expenses so this will take some financial burden off him!
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
His expenses should be halved in most cases now.