Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

Are high school student fees consider extraordinary expens

Are high school student fees consider extraordinary expenses?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

How much are these fees and what do they cover?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Debra,

So far:

School fees $50 = lockers, student id, special guest speakers, ISP field trips. (ISP is Integrated School Program that we both verbally agreed upon)

School supplies $30 = basic

Jazz band fees $40 = music books, field trips, entrance fees to festivals

School soccer team fees $25 = bussing costs

In most cases most if not all of these fees would come out of the basic child support and would not be considered to be special expenses.

That is clearly the case for the supplies, locker and student ID etc.,

If the fields trips end up being quite expensive and are special in these sense that they are in addition or supplemental to regular basic school costs they could be considered special expenses.

Jazz band fees would also not generally be considered as special fees nor would the bus costs to the events.

But if the jazz band fees start to mount because of the various festivals or if the busing fees to the soccer games get to be very high because there are out of town busing fees, for example. then at some point all of these costs could be consider special expenses.

There is no clear answer to this question as you can see. But the Court would look at the amount of the costs, why they are being incurred etc and what the incomes of the parents are before making a decision.

I hope that helps a bit.

Unfortunately, in family law the most hotly contested issue is extraordinary expenses because it's often just not clear what is considered to be an extraordinary expense, mainly because each case is different.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer