Law.Hut, Lawyer
Experience:  with over 15 years experience.

do I need permission to do a photoshoot with a 17 year old

do I need permission to do a photoshoot with a 17 year old in Ontario

No. A child over age 14 is allowed to work in Ontario, with some exceptions for more hazardous jobs, and those exceptions do not include modelling. Parental permission is not required. A child over age 16 does not face restrictions on hours of work, whereas children under age 16 are not to be scheduled to work during school hours.

If the photo shoot was to involve nudity or any sexualized poses or images then this would risk being illegal under child pornography laws.

I hope this is helpful. If you have no further questions, please rate the answer positively, as otherwise the site does not credit me, even if you have paid a deposit. You can still ask follow up questions after rating though, if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi this photo shoot that I am looking for is for nature shots fully clothed and no sexual content whatsoever, so can the parents, I have asked already for permission tonight if offened complain

No. You do not need parental permission to hire the 17 year old for the shoot. There is no one that the parents can complain to.