How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 98519
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi I have done a surgery on my right hand in Feb 2013.Before

This answer was rated:

I have done a surgery on my right hand in Feb 2013.Before making decision for surgery my doctor told me that it is a very simple surgery and did not tell me about any risk or failure after surgery it is about 8 months that I have pain in my hand and I can not fist my hand. I do my daily jobs with many difficulties and pain.Of course one of the neglect of my doctor was late introduction for physiotherapy and also he did not mentioned me about any risk of surgery.
my question is that how can I sue the doctor and how long does it take and approximately how much would be the cost.I appreciate if you instruct me.
Best Regards
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

I am sorry this happened to you.

It's very troubling that the doctor did not share the risks with you because you could not really make an informed decision and provide informed consent without understanding the risks.

As well, this may be a case of malpractice that is particularly true if you were harmed because the doctor failed to advice you that you needed physiotherapy.

Your best next step is to consult with a lawyer face to face.

Suing could be very expensive unless you did not sue for more than $25,000 as then you could sue in Small Claims Court and could self-represent.

But the reason why it's best to see a lawyer is that the lawyer can send the doctor a demand letter threatening a lawsuit and the doctor will then hand the letter to his insurers who may offer a fair settlement.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-800-268-8326 or(NNN) NNN-NNNN(within the GTA)
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your answer

As I am living in Vancouver In British Colombia Province if I contact phone No 1-800(NNN) NNN-NNNNwill they introduce me a lawyer in Vancouver ?

As I have done the surgery in Feb 2013 is there any time limitation for suing the doctor?



There is a two year limitation period for suing but the earlier the better.

Yes they will provide you with the name and contact information of a lawyer in Vancouver.

Related Canada Law Questions