Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

My father was born in Canada (as was all of his family) and

My father was born in Canada (as was all of his family) and came to the US as an infant. I was born in Oregon. I am seeking to become a Canadian citizen and maintain my US citizenship also.

I have my father's death certificate (which states place of birth as Canada) and my birth certificate which also states his place of birth as Canada. I also have military documents and the ships passenger list from the ship my father and grandparents came from Vancouver to Seattle on. I do not have my fathers birth certificate.

Can you advise me as to how I may apply for Canadian citizenship and how I may obtain my fathers birth certificate from Saskatchewan?

My husband and I are retired and have good income and would like to live part time in Canada where we have relatives.
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Did your father become a US citizen and if so when?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My father became a citizen when his parents became citizens but I do not know when that was. I just know he was a minor child at the time. His military record shows his Social Security number was from Alaska Territory.

Unfortunately, then, it's not likely that you will be considered to be a Canadian citizen.

The reason why is that when your father was a child neither Canada or the US recognized dual citizenship.

The means that your father had to renounce his citizenship (his parents who were his legal guardians would have done that for him) and so he was not Canadian when you were born.

You can confirm this by contacting Canada Immigration but it's very unlikely you will be recognized as a Canadian citizen unfortunately.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I realize I would not be considered a Canadian citizen but I understand that because my father was born in Canada, that fact may provide me a "path to citizenship".

It is dual citizenship I am seeking.

That's not correct though.

To become a citizen if you are not recognized as one because as parent was a citizen when you were born you have apply to become a permanent resident, just like one whose parent was not born in Canada, live in Canada for at least 1095 days in the four years immediately preceding your citizenship application and then be granted citizenship.