How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 91057
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father was born in Canada (as was all of his family) and

Resolved Question:

My father was born in Canada (as was all of his family) and came to the US as an infant. I was born in Oregon. I am seeking to become a Canadian citizen and maintain my US citizenship also.

I have my father's death certificate (which states place of birth as Canada) and my birth certificate which also states his place of birth as Canada. I also have military documents and the ships passenger list from the ship my father and grandparents came from Vancouver to Seattle on. I do not have my fathers birth certificate.

Can you advise me as to how I may apply for Canadian citizenship and how I may obtain my fathers birth certificate from Saskatchewan?

My husband and I are retired and have good income and would like to live part time in Canada where we have relatives.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Did your father become a US citizen and if so when?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My father became a citizen when his parents became citizens but I do not know when that was. I just know he was a minor child at the time. His military record shows his Social Security number was from Alaska Territory.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, then, it's not likely that you will be considered to be a Canadian citizen.

The reason why is that when your father was a child neither Canada or the US recognized dual citizenship.

The means that your father had to renounce his citizenship (his parents who were his legal guardians would have done that for him) and so he was not Canadian when you were born.

You can confirm this by contacting Canada Immigration but it's very unlikely you will be recognized as a Canadian citizen unfortunately.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I realize I would not be considered a Canadian citizen but I understand that because my father was born in Canada, that fact may provide me a "path to citizenship".

It is dual citizenship I am seeking.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
That's not correct though.

To become a citizen if you are not recognized as one because as parent was a citizen when you were born you have apply to become a permanent resident, just like one whose parent was not born in Canada, live in Canada for at least 1095 days in the four years immediately preceding your citizenship application and then be granted citizenship.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 91057
Experience: Lawyer
Legal Ease and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
  • This has been very helpful. I'm glad to see that lawyers and sites like this exist. Thanks for your help. Mike Halifax, NS
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    23 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Tom B.'s Avatar

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    23 years in practice
  • LawyerProfessor's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced Litigation Lawyer in Ontario since 1999 and NY since 1997
  • B.R. Hart's Avatar

    B.R. Hart


    Satisfied Customers:

    Juris Doctor, Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada
  • Jeremie John Martin's Avatar

    Jeremie John Martin


    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a bilingual attorney for the province of Quebec who goes to Court often for many clients.
  • Sokkalaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer in Ontario, Canada
  • CaptanLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a criminal defence lawyer, who assists individuals charged with crimes.
  • Law Maven's Avatar

    Law Maven


    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer & Instructor at Algonquin Careers Academy