Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Should a young Unwed mother List the father names on Births

Should a young Unwed mother List the father name's XXXXX XXXXX’s Certificate? Pros & Cons of listing the young man as the dad. Young man's family not well to do at all! Both teenagers. If she goes on social services will she be deducted moneys from her welfare cheque if she name the baby's father? Meg's Parents have no $$ for lawyers and she won't abort & presently 6 1/2 mths pregnant.
I'm her stepmother and her grandfather & her mom & dad are barely making ends meet. Help.
C.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Listing the baby's father on the birth certificate will not affect her rights or responsibilities or that of the father.

Whether the father's name is XXXXX XXXXX not the father is required to pay child support if the child is going to live with the mother.

And the father also has all the legal rights to the baby that the mother has whether she lists him or not.

Either can get a court order for a paternity test if necessary.

Did you know that she can see a family lawyer for free? This may be a good idea so she can discuss the law with a lawyer face to face.

She can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. She will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-800-268-8326 or(NNN) NNN-NNNN(within the GTA)

I think that's a good next step for her.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She will receive Social Aid only after the baby is born why....? She need $$$ for furniture & crib good food etc......Will Welfare deduct $$ from her monthly chque if the dad is named in Birth Certifcate/

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Welfare knows there is a father.

Whether his name is XXXXX XXXXX not doesn't matter.

If she lives with him she may get less.

And she will be expected to seek an order for support whether his name is XXXXX XXXXX not.