Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

Our company has a commercial lease in Ontario Canada which

Our company has a commercial lease in Ontario Canada which we fell behind and were locked out. We have since resumed our tenency (occupation of said leased premises) after paying up, and are back up to date with our payments and terms of original lease. The landlord is insisting we are currently without a lease, and we need to sign a lease revival?? Is this standard practice?
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

There is no law that says you must sign a new lease.

The old lease governs.

So if the old lease states that if you go into default you will sign a new lease then you have to sign a new lease.

But if it doesn't it's most likely the case that you can take the position that the old least was reinstate when the landlord agreed to accept the rent and allow you back in.