Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
17441061

I stupidly drove without my license, its expired. No insurance.

I stupidly drove without my license, its expired. No insurance. 2 min from my house I was driving along the road and a lady backed out of her driveway into my lane. I swered to avoid her and didnt feel or hear or see any type of connection. I continued on. So did she. No effort was made to flag me down etc. I got a call from a police detective saying im being investigated for a hit n run. What do I do? Im terrified of big fines n legal fees n jail time n not being able to get my license back etc.. if im honest with the cop am I likely to get charged with it etc?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 11 months ago.

Ulysses101 :

Hello, thank you for the question.

Ulysses101 :

Here's the best legal advice you'll ever get: you are never under obligation to speak to the police, and talking to the police almost never makes things better.

Ulysses101 :

If you try to talk your way out of it, you'll instead be confessing you did it. Frankly, you'll likely wind up with more charges.

Ulysses101 :

Get a lawyer through your company's legal benefits option, get a lawyer to communicate with the police for you.

Customer:

Wont avoiding the police make me appear even more guilty

Ulysses101 :

Yes, but I'm sure they are going to charge you anyway if they have the evidence. If they don't have the evidence, don't give it to them by talking to them.

Customer:

Ok im terrified im gonna end up in jail. Huge fines.not able to drive again. I cant afford any of this. Its why I dont have a license in the first place

Ulysses101 :

I understand. And I'm not going to lie to you, this could be very bad. I doubt you'll be looking at jail time, though.

Ulysses101 :

Freaking out is the last thing you must do. If you babble on to the police, trying to explain yourself and get sympathy and avoid the charge, you'll only be charged more. This isn't solely up to the police. The other person got hit, and if insurance companies are involved they'll be interested too.

Ulysses101 :

Get a lawyer to speak to the police for you. That's the best advice I can give you.

Customer:

I really didnt know we connected. I would have stopped. Im not a bad person. I dont want my life ruined

Ulysses101 :

This isn't about whether you're a bad person. This is about whether the police and crown attorneys can prove to a judge that you committed a hit and run.

Ulysses101 :

So don't help them convict you.

Customer:

Ok. I feel so screwed right now

Ulysses101 :

I appreciate that. It feels worse because you don't know what's going to happen and you're imagining the worst.

Ulysses101 :

Get a lawyer and have the lawyer talk to the police for you, or walk you through the interview if you do it.

Customer:

Ok.. do lawyers accept payment plans n stuff generally? I dont have any savings

Ulysses101 :

It's up to the lawyers. Some do, but most don't. See what you can get through your employment benefits, and borrow money if you have to. Get a lawyer.

Customer:

Ok thank you

Ulysses101 :

You're welcome. Any other questions or comments?

Customer:

No. I just want out of this mess

Ulysses101 :

Try not to freak out. That will only make it worse.

Ulysses101 :

If that's all, I'll ask you to give a positive rating to the service so that I get credit for helping you today.

Customer:

I have pretty bad anxiety n less the perfect mental health. Freaking out is all ive done. But thank you for the advice

Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience: 11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment