Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

A credit card company is threatening to file an $8,000 lien

A credit card company is threatening to file an $8,000 lien on a home. Can they foreclose? How long does it take? Please include code references as I will read the code. Thank you.
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with the best possible answer.

To achieve that goal it may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.

But, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

They cannot register a lien on title at this point.

They have to sue you first.

Then they have to get a Judgment.

Then they can seek to enforce the judgment and then they can garnish your wages, seize bank accounts, seize and sue assets, register liens etc.

They cannot do that now.

And for $8000 they will not seek to seize the house but the lien will prevent you from selling the house or refinancing until it's paid off.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.