Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

the company I worked for (27 years) has been sold to another

the company I worked for (27 years) has been sold to another company. If they decide to terminate me - do I still qualify for severance for those 27 years of service.

Mary Anne Baier
Stratford, Ontario
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Yes you do.

There is no reason to think you are not entitled to appropriate termination pay just because the company has been sold.

Your rights remain the same exactly.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I'm being told that effective Jan.1,2014 - all of us will be on "THEIR" employee benefits plan and employment rules. I just needed to know my rights should they decide to terminate me at that point.

Yes I understood that.

Your rights remain the same.

The Courts have consistently held that the number of years of working for the former employer will be added to how long you work for the new employer.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

that is good to know. Thank you. The new company is American owned and has divisions located here in Canada. As long as I have the rights to my 27 years severance - I'll be happy.

Yes you will have those rights.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer