How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 95617
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I am a US citizen, is it possible for me to work for a US

This answer was rated:

If I am a US citizen, is it possible for me to work for a US company, but live in Edmonton?

My boyfriend currently lives in Edmonton (US citizen on a work visa). We will be getting married at some point, but I am trying to figure out if I am able to work up there and keep my current job.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

I am not sure what you mean when you ask if it's possible to work up there and keep your current job.

Are you asking if you can live with your boyfriend in Edmonton and still work in the US?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No problem, thanks for the quick response. So to clarify. I currently reside in the US and work for a company in the US.


My boyfriend is a US citizien, lives in Edmonton and works for a Canadian company.


I am looking to move up to Edmonton shortly to live with him. I have the opportunity to continue working in my current job remotely, so I would still be an American, working for an American company, but living in Edmonton.


Legally, is that even possible? I don't know how it would work in terms of US and Canadian law, etc.


We are planning on getting married soon, so I would be able to get on his work visa and get a job up there if needed, but we do plan on coming back to the US at some point, so if I could continue working for my company, that would be an ideal set up.


Does that make sense? Let me know if you need any more info from me.


Thank you!




It makes perfect sense. Thanks for clarifying.

You can live in Canada and continue to work for your US employer.

If you want to work for a Canadian employer you would need a work permit.

But you would get an open work permit without any problem as you are entitled to this if you are on your spouse's permit.

But you don't need a permit to work for the US employer.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One more question then. How would I be able to stay in the country? Aren't you only allowed to stay up there as a visitor for 6 months at a time? Would I have to get married to him right away to ensure I can stay up there?


I know the laws are a little weird, but I just wanted some preliminary information so I can start to figure out what I need to do.


Thank you for the help so far!

You would not come in as a visitor.

Your spouse would apply for a change of status for his work permit and add you to that application.

Then you would be entering on his work permit and not as a visitor.

You could stay as long as he permit is valid.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Awesome. I had a feeling we would have to get married right away in order for me to stay, but being able to work for a US company still is great news!


Do you pratice in Edmonton?


I am in Ontario but you can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 95617
Experience: Lawyer
Legal Ease and 2 other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
  • This has been very helpful. I'm glad to see that lawyers and sites like this exist. Thanks for your help. Mike Halifax, NS
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Tom B.

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Tom B.'s Avatar

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years in practice
  • LawyerProfessor's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced Litigation Lawyer in Ontario since 1999 and NY since 1997
  • B.R. Hart's Avatar

    B.R. Hart


    Satisfied Customers:

    Juris Doctor, Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada
  • Jeremie John Martin's Avatar

    Jeremie John Martin


    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a bilingual attorney for the province of Quebec who goes to Court often for many clients.
  • Sokkalaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer in Ontario, Canada
  • CaptanLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a criminal defence lawyer, who assists individuals charged with crimes.
  • Law Maven's Avatar

    Law Maven


    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer & Instructor at Algonquin Careers Academy