Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

My mothers estate includes a small sculpture that was on loan

My mother's estate includes a small sculpture that was on loan to a club. The fiduciary polled all the estate beneficiaries to see if they would be in favor of donating the sculpture to the club, in memory of my parents. One beneficiary indicated a preference for buying the sculpture from the estate and loaning it to the club himself. It would seem to me that
this would constitute precedent for "balkanization" of estate assets, and interfere with orderly disposition of personal belongings of the estate (there are quite a few). Don't
fiduciaries have a responsibility to prevent this type of piecemeal disposition of assets? The fiduciary (executor) is a a large financial institution
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

That is not correct.

So long as an asset is purchased at fair market value beneficiaries are generally welcome to buy assets. This is quite common in fact.

And in this case it was going to be donated so I can't see how this could be harming anyone really but any beneficiary can object if he/she wants to.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. Upon reflection, I now think my question was not a legal one after all. Proposing to purchase one of many personal belongings in

an estate, rather than dealing with them en masse, invites delay and

would seem a very disorganized and irresponsible way to operate as

fiduciary, albeit legal.