How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 91079
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can a parent do when the other parent does not want to

Resolved Question:

What can a parent do when the other parent does not want to sign a letter of consent to travel abroad with a child?

My partner and I will be travelling with our children at the beginning of January 2014. My partner's ex has reluctantly agreed to let their daughter Emma travel with us and we have already purchased our tickets (in May). However, she does not want to provide the passport or the signed travel letter until January (at the very last minute) and we do not trust that she will do so. Emma's father has asked his ex to provide the documents ahead of time but she refuses. He even sent her a draft letter of consent and a request for her to take it to her lawyer to have it notarised, to sign it and to return to him along with Emma's passport by September 30, 2013. In this request, he also noted that he would pay the notarisation fee and that if she not comply with this request, he will be forced to obtain these documents through legal action and this will be at her expense. She made it quite clear that she will not comply by saying things like "You'll get the papers when I feel like it; I know my rights and I have until January to provide you the papers; Who do you think you are? I don't take orders from you; She's MY daughter so I decide."

Given her usual and continued lack of cooperation, we do not trust her to keep her word and we do not want to wait until the last minute to find out. Come January, if fhe does not provide the documents, we will not have time to take any legal action before the trip and we will also lose $550 on Emma's travel ticket. What can we do to resolve this issue ahead of time?

Just in case the law differs from one province to another, I should mention that the father lives in Ontario and the mother and daughter live in Quebec.

Thank you.

Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

The father may have to bring an application to the Court for an order allowing him to take the child outside of Canada.

And if he does the Court will order that the mother pay for some of his legal costs.

So a good first step would be for him to send her a letter stating his intention to do so and telling her to speak to a lawyer. The lawyer will likely tell her she has to co-operate or she will get stuck her a lot of legal fees.

But if it comes down to it your husband will have to retain a lawyer in Quebec unfortunately.

If necessary he can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. He will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $30.

The contact information can be found here:

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 91079
Experience: Lawyer
Legal Ease and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. Thet was the answer i was hoping for. I do have a few related questions:
1) the mother claims that she consulted a lawyer and that she has no obligation to provide the documents until January (just before the travel date). We are skeptical that she consulted. Regardless, is there a specific timeframe prior to travel that the concenting parent should provide the travel letter and passport?
2) We live in Ottawa, Ontario and the Quebec provincial border is close by. Does he need to get a lawyer in Quebec city where the mother lives (which is 5 hours away) or can it be anywhere in Quebec, such as Gatineau which is minutes away from ottawa?

Thank you.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
There is no specific timeframe but given her past lack of co-operation a Court would likely understand why you need this well ahead of time.

He can start out with any lawyer in Quebec but if this has to go to Court the lawyer is not going to drive 5 hours for court so then he would need another one.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
  • This has been very helpful. I'm glad to see that lawyers and sites like this exist. Thanks for your help. Mike Halifax, NS
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    23 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Tom B.'s Avatar

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    23 years in practice
  • LawyerProfessor's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced Litigation Lawyer in Ontario since 1999 and NY since 1997
  • B.R. Hart's Avatar

    B.R. Hart


    Satisfied Customers:

    Juris Doctor, Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada
  • Jeremie John Martin's Avatar

    Jeremie John Martin


    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a bilingual attorney for the province of Quebec who goes to Court often for many clients.
  • Sokkalaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer in Ontario, Canada
  • CaptanLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a criminal defence lawyer, who assists individuals charged with crimes.
  • Law Maven's Avatar

    Law Maven


    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer & Instructor at Algonquin Careers Academy