Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

if someone dies and name you as heir. 1-can you refuse to be

if someone dies and name you as heir. 1-can you refuse to be the heir of is estate .
2- if you refuse to be the heir are you obligated to put on your income tax declaration the
5 thousand dollards (T4A (P)) even do you did not receive it
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

1. Yes you can refuse your inheritance.

2. I don't know why you would use a T4A (P) for this but you don't declare anything at all.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

in Quebec the government give 5 thousand dollars to the decease estate and the heir as to declare the amount on their income tax... case C :prestation de deces ,releve 2 , revenus de retraite et rentes

The law is that if you received the benefit you can declare it on your own return or on the estate's return.

But you are not receiving it.

So you don't declare anything yourself at all.