Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

If a credit card company has a lien on a house in British columbia

If a credit card company has a lien on a house in British columbia for unpaid debt and the amount continues to climb with a 20% Approx. interest can this amount reach a point where there is no equity left or what ever is owing is the amount of equity and therefor the house is then owned by the cc company and the bank.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

The house can be seized and sold if the credit card company decides it is worth their while.

So losing his house, unfortunately, is a distinct possibility.

If he could increase his mortgage or get a secured line of credit the interest to be paid would be dramatically less than 20% and so that really should be his goal.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.