Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

If my husband is on disability and now cannot pay his bills

If my husband is on disability and now cannot pay his bills ... can his creditors take our home of which we are both on the deed?

Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

I am sorry to hear that you are in this difficult situation.

A creditor could sue your husband and then can seek to enforce that Judgment against any of his assets unfortunately.

So they could seize and sell the house. Your half of the equity would be safe.

So if there is not a lot of equity in the house they would not likely do this.

As well, if there is not a lot of equity in the house then it may make sense for your husband to speak to a Trustee in Bankruptcy about the idea of declaring bankruptcy.

He can do that for free quite easily.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What if he does declare personal bankrupcy... I don't want to lose our home...can't he just remove his name from the deed of our home?

I know you don't want to lose your house.

If there is not a lot of equity in the house you would not lose it if he declares bankruptcy.

You cannot remove his name to defeat creditors. That would be considered fraud and the transfer would be set aside.