Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

Im currently in a disput with Rogers. I had 2 accounts with

I'm currently in a disput with Rogers. I had 2 accounts with them and both were being charged erronously.
1. They say we were using the data when I knew for a fact we were sigining on to the WiFi (this is for a Tablet).
2. Because we were always using the Tablet in the first comment we were not using the tablets for the 2nd account. We had not used them in over a year. Out of the blue we were charged in over 600 in charges for one month and then there was no activity again. I kept insisting they made a mistake or something happened because the tablets were in my closet for over a year.

I was not reviewing my bill on the 2nd example because i was paying my bill due to my obligation to the contract, we were not using the tablets.

Because i was disputing the charges on both accounts and was refusing to pay the overage but was still paying my monthly bill (no one was helping me with this). they threw me to collections. Once I got to collections I paid the bills immediately so that my credit would not be ruined.

I tried to purchase a house recently, and I only have 5% to put down but because Rogers has placed non payments on my profile the insurers want 10% instead and I don't have that kind of money.

The only reason why I was not paying the "extra charges" was because i seriously believe they are mistaken. In the end they received their money but because they have placed my accounts as derogatory it is causing us to not be able to purchase a house. I'm told they won't remove it because its accurate information.

I was paying my monthly bill, all I was doing was holding off paying the extra charges they placed on me until someone would help me either explain why these charges came to be or prove that we were using tablets when i know for a fact they were not being used. They did see that they were not being used and that all of a sudden there was activity and then nothing right after that, but they didn't care.

Is there anything i can do. I was giving the impression yesterday that they were going to be able to help me from the Management Office but they just called that they have not ruined my credit and that all they did was show that i wasn't paying my bill ( i was paying my bill / i was disputing the large charge and they refused to help me.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

As I answer you I am stuck using my iphone tethered to my laptop, because, as has happened another time this month, I am without Internet because of another area outage and I use Rogers. So frankly I am delighted to help you.

Did you speak to a manager of customer care (the department that is only open during regular business hours?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes I've spoken with them and they said yesterday they were going to remove it. I made it clear that I needed the Non Payments to be removed in order to have this resolved and Randy said they would be able to help me. Today Randy has called back and has stated that they can not remove this information because i did not pay my bill. I did pay my bill just not the entire bill only because I feel they charged me incorrectly. On one account they charged me over 600.00 for tablets we were not even using. They were sitting in my closet with dust on them and they acknowledge that the accounts were not being used before and they ahve not been used since they see the charges.

So i'm stuck still with 2 bad remarks and CMHC requesting more money because of it.

I suggest calling Randy back, if possible, otherwise, call again and ask for the manager.

Explain what happened again. Tell them if this is not resolved (as it was their error in your view) you will file a complaint with the Commissioner of Complaints for Telecommunications and then if that does not resolve this issue you will commence legal proceedings and then will be suing for damages.

And that is actually exactly what you can do.

The other approach is if that phone call does not work you can have a lawyer send them a letter threatening a lawsuit. That will likely work and will work faster because that letter will go to their legal department.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-800-268-8326 or(NNN) NNN-NNNN(within the GTA)

Here is a link to where you could file a complaint:

http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer