Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Hi, domestic question here.....re: Live in boy friend & condo

domestic question here.....re: Live in boy friend & condo owner girl friend.
Boyfriend moved in April 1st and refuses to leave the premises...........

Was asked to leave 6 weeks ago after non-payment of rent.

Refuses to leave saying "he and the new dog can't find a place".

They live in British Columbia, Canada.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Are you willing to call the police?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If calling the police is the only way to ensure that this person leaves the premises then that is okay.

I think that is the best first step.

This is not a matrimonial home.

He's not renting separate premises.

He's not paying rent.

I am hopeful the police will remove him.

If not your next step could be to have a lawyer send him a letter threatening to get a Court Order requiring him to leave and as well to require him to pay any outstanding rent as well as some of your legal costs.

You can contact the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $25.

The number is:

604.687.3221 or 1.800.663.1919.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.