Copperlaw
Copperlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired cop. Now a Lawyer. Drug expert, breath tech, negotiator, traffic specialist. Criminal, Family, Civil and more.
38596469

Is there a provincial law in place to regulate motorcycle noise

Is there a provincial law in place to regulate motorcycle noise in Quebec, especially for bikes legally registered in other provinces?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 11 months ago.

Copperlaw :

Hi There

Copperlaw :

As a motorcycle rider myself, I am aware that police in general will enforce loud pipes, while Quebec seems to be one of the strictest Provinces for enforcement. And it isn't just the QPP, but municipal forces as well

Copperlaw :

The Highway Safety Code regulation Pilot project concerning the sound level control of the exhaust system of a motorcycle and moped, RRQ, c C-24.2, r 37.2, as I think you have found, provides for the actual meter measurements of motorcycle exhaust systems in Quebec. It exires August 2, 2015

Copperlaw :

So it does allow actual measuring and does not consider any additions or modifications to the exhaust system. If a bike were bought loud and stock in Ontario per say, it could potentially be violating this regulation if it were being ridden in Quebec and stopped

Copperlaw :

Section 258, 259 and 260 of the Highway Safety Code makes it an offence to operate a motor vehicle which does not conform to the standards found within the regulations

Copperlaw :

Most Provinces have an actual section within their traffic laws to address excessive noise from motorvehicles.

Copperlaw :

There are just so many discussion forums online discussing this issue, so you are certainly not alone. There is regular discussion and updates, so as new info is posted, it gets further discussion

Copperlaw :

This might be a thought

Copperlaw :

If you have any other clarification you need, or questions to answer, please let me know

Customer:

The most important question is whether this is defendable. The regulation only states the bike needs a complete system, so pipes, expansion chamber and baffle, I have all this. It also says that it can't alter the bike's performance, which means not increase noise. I bought the bike from an individual in the US, got it imported and inspected and changed the pipes that were on it because it was too loud. My argument is that the changes that the dealer made improved the bike's performance by reducing the noise level but I have no hard evidence of this other than the baffle from the Bassini pipes were only 8 inches, whereas the baffles on the Rhineharts are 18 inches.

Customer:

Whatabout the court case that occured in Matane Quebec and the use of the wire to test the exhaust?? How valid are those in a case such as this?

Copperlaw, Lawyer
Experience: Retired cop. Now a Lawyer. Drug expert, breath tech, negotiator, traffic specialist. Criminal, Family, Civil and more.